Managing Creekview’s Media

Reece Gramling, Staff Writer

Once upon a time, libraries were a place for quiet study and reflection, but today, the media center is a hub of activity for Creekview students and staff alike. 

From the monthly open mic in the mornings, to the weekly Lazy Bear Café, and the daily study hall, the media center stays busy. Students can visit in the mornings before school or during their lunch period with a pass. 

At the center of the chaos are the school’s media specialists, Nan Lanford and Kimberly Dutton. Dutton is the newest addition to the staff although she is no stranger to the position. This is her first year at Creekview but her twelfth year as a media specialist. 

“I love technology and reading, and I think media let me combine both of those loves,” Dutton said. 

Her job requires Dutton to keep the library in check while also helping students with the school’s newest technology. The media specialists teach research skills, help students find resources, and keep the students up-to-date on the school’s technology. 

“Media lets me help students use technology to become better readers and writers,” Dutton said. 

Encouraging students to use the media center is Dutton’s main goal. She enjoys designing and decorating the book displays and hopes the media center will inspire Creekview students to read. Dutton sponsors the Tome Student Literacy Society with Lanford for students who love to read. 

“We enjoy planning activities that bring students into the media center to create, collaborate and communicate,” Dutton said. 

Before becoming a media specialist, Dutton, who graduated from Troy University in Alabama, worked as an English teacher at West Forsyth teaching mostly gifted classes. She made the move to Creekview when the opportunity presented itself. 

“I was just ready for a change, and I had heard great things,” Dutton said. 

Outside of school Dutton, enjoys reading, especially historical fiction, hiking, listening to podcasts, and playing with her dog. She is enjoying getting to know the students at Creekview. Drop by the media center to meet her and check out her latest display.